07 March 2011

Menu Monday (one dish/casserole)

Tamale Pie!


I apologize, I do not have any pictures, I was going to make this last night and snap some, but the day got too busy and I ended up having a croissant for dinner :) Thankfully, Kelly was still full from our fajita "linner" (lunch/dinner). Anyway, this recipe is one that can be changed up and played with depending on your tastes or what you have in your pantry. This was a meal that was brought to us one time after I had surgery. I always want to bring people meals, but sometimes I get intimidated by the big question of what should I bring??? If you ever feel that way, this is always a good go to one.


These amounts are for an 8x8 baking dish, you could adjust to make it bigger, or a lot of recipes online say to bake it in a pie dish.


-1 lb. ground beef or turkey, browned
-1/2 pkg taco seasoning (or as much or as little as you like, you can also just season it to your taste with seasonings from your pantry)
-1/2 medium onion chopped (I usually leave the onion out)
-3 cloves garlic minced
-1 (8oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilis or 1 cup salsa
-1 can beans (drained) of your choice (like black beans, pinto, kidney...)
-1 can whole kernel corn
-Shredded cheese
-Prepared Cornbread Mix (I like to use Marie Callendar's, but any kind will work)


Brown Meat, Onions, Garlic with Taco Seasoning, add tomatoes or salsa and beans. Add enough water so mixture is covered (you may have enough water with the corn and tomatoes, it just varies). Pour into an 8x8 baking dish, sprinkle dish with a layer of cheese, and top with cornbread batter (if you want it to have a little kick, you can add diced jalapenos to the batter).


Bake according to cornbread directions.
You can serve it with sour cream and guacamole.
It was brought to us with a Caesar salad, so I usually mix up a salad as a side.


Happy Monday, hope you had a great weekend!

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Nick would absolutely love this... I'll have the vegetarian sides :) Also, my mom bought me a vegetarian cookbook (I was getting sick of the same old things) and I'm going to try a recipe or two from that and I'll let you know if I find anything really good.
One last thing--thank you for your comment a few days ago. It's good to know the photo industry isn't the only one full of grumps (maybe it's just the arts, though!).
I hope you're doing well!!